Groundbreaking Ceremony Held for Mt. Zion Missionary Baptist Church
September 25th, 2017
A second groundbreaking ceremony for the new Education and Administration Building took place at 4 P.M. on Sunday, September 24th at Mount Zion Missionary Baptist Church in Asheville. The ceremony kicked off an addition to the existing church, an assuredly historic event for one of the oldest minority churches in Asheville. The host minister was Rev. Dr. Nilous Avery II of Mount Zion Missionary Baptist Church of Salisbury and President of the General Baptist State Convention, along with his choir and congregation. MHAworks’s Peter Alberice, Principal in Charge and Project Architect for the addition, was also in attendance, alongside Dr. John H. Grant and Deacon Bernard Oliphant of Mt. Zion Missionary Baptist Church, Greg Sills, outside project consultant, and Mayumi Steins of Beverly-Grant Construction.
Mt. Zion Missionary Baptist Church rests on one of the oldest streets in Asheville, Market Street. The original sanctuary and fellowship hall were completed in 1909. The addition of the new Education and Administration Building will see a stair tower, elevator and storage on the lowest split-level added. The second level will have a connection to the existing fellowship hall level and include church classrooms, egress stairs, and an elevator. The third level will feature a connection to the existing sanctuary level and include offices, as well as washrooms, an elevator and stairs.
For more information and continued updates from Mt. Zion Missionary Baptist Church, visit www.mtzionasheville.org.
Recent MHAworks News & Events
- - MHAworks Welcomes Jeff Trussler
- - MHAworks Welcomes Scott Booth
- - MHAworks Welcomes Jacinta Cofield
- - From Scraps to Crafts — MHAworks Donates to Durham School of the Arts
- - MHAworks Welcomes Ally Gagliardo
- - MHAworks Sponsors 2018 InterCity Strategic Leadership Visit
- - MHAworks Honors Toni Hill
- - MHAworks Welcomes Tyler Scire
- - MHAworks Attends Annual Duke Children’s Gala
- - Interiors Attends Triangle Evidence-Based Design Forum
- - MHAworks Welcomes Megan Paris
- - Chloe King Earns Notary Public Certification
- - Ribbon Cutting Ceremony at Pitt Community College
- - George Hining Attends NCEDA Winter Conference
- - Marketing Attends SMPS Triangle Team Building Program
- - MHAworks Projects Earn LEED® Silver
- - MHAworks Welcomes Emily Gaines
- - MHAworks Welcomes Cyd Jaggers
- - MHAworks Welcomes Caleb Knott
- - Happy Valentine’s Day from MHAworks!