- About Us
- In Design
- Join Our Team
- News & Events
MHAworks recently completed renovations to Angier Avenue Baptist Church. The project scope covered renovations to the Sanctuary, offices, bathrooms, and other special use rooms. Improvements made included renovating different corridors, sidewalks, adding an ADA-compliant ramp, as well as upgrades to the roof, HVAC system, plumbing, and electrical system. In addition, many of the locations also had new drywall, tile finishing, flooring, and paint. The Sanctuary also had its ceiling upgraded to make it more acoustical and renovations to the second story balcony
Around the 1920s the east Durham area had a population draw created by the Durham Cotton Manufacturing Company, with several schools, churches, and other communities nearby. One of these schools was The Oak Grove School, a Sunday school set up by the First Baptist Church of Durham. From this school the First Baptist Church of Durham was born.
Charter members of the church donated the land for the first East Durham Baptist church back in 1900, but that building’s congregation outgrew it in less than 20 years and its council started looking for a solution that would accommodate its growth. Around 1924 the new East Durham Baptist Church (later to be called Angier Avenue Baptist) was opened on the same grounds, containing the sanctuary portion of the building that still stands today. In 1959 the church added a three-story education wing to the rear of the building.
This building has important associations with the establishment of Durham’s booming manufacturing industry at the turn of the 20thcentury. It is locally significant as one of the few surviving community buildings of that time and reflects the scale of the population and prosperity the area enjoyed during that time. Today, this building can seem a bit out of place since this industry has long gone away and the housing and overall economics of the area have been on a steady decline. This contrast is serving as a catalyst for economic development for this region, and the restoration of
This building will be one of a group of cornerstone projects aiming to transform East Durham in the years to come.